Monday, March 16, 2009

Notetaking

"Please be warned: teaching summarizing is no small undertaking. It's one of the hardest strategies for students to grasp, and one of the hardest strategies for you to teach. You have to repeatedly model it and give your students ample time and opportunities to practice it. But it is such a valuable strategy and competency. Can you imagine your students succeeding in school without being able to break down content into manageable small succinct pieces? "

This is one of my major struggles as a teacher. The dilemma is three fold; when to give notes, how to give notes and how much to expect from the students as far as their skills level. When is come time to actually taking notes during something like a movie, students like having choices. If I give them specific questions to answer they seem to get frustrated faster. I usually give them choices in terms of doing Cornell notes or just writing a hodge podge or facts and questions.

When they were taking notes during History Day, I gave them topics and suggested (quite firmly) that they take notes using the Cornell Notes Style- which most of them are familiar with due to their AVID Class. (Yay) I still ran into the issue that they would write things down word for word and not have a clue as to how to summarize.

So I guess my next step, to avoid a class full or plagiarists, is to work with our wonderful language teacher on how to help them do that.

1 comment:

Karen said...

These are concepts I find myself thinking about a lot since our session -- and "scanning" and "skimming" which many kids also do not know how to do. I find it interesting that these "information literacy" skills really go back to basic reading & comprehension skills that should be developing in elementary school ... off to ponder some more.